The martial arts are ancient disciplines that have been practiced for thousands of years. Many people today continue to engage in martial arts because of the many physical, mental, and emotional benefits that those who practice can experience.
Studying various forms of martial arts has been shown to improve physical strength and flexibility, self-confidence, concentration, stress management, and even your mood. Still, many choose to participate in martial arts programs because they enjoy learning the discipline and discovering their ability within a supportive community.
At Master S.H. Yu Martial Arts, we create a challenging, yet safe and supportive environment for students at all levels to train and learn various styles of martial arts. If you are interested in taking martial arts classes in the Oak Park, IL area, contact Master S.H. Yu Martial Arts for information about our classes.
We offer instruction in the following types of traditional martial arts:
- Tae Kwon Do: Tae Kwon Do is an ancient Korean martial arts discipline that involves dynamic hand and foot movements and emphasizes the synchronization of the movements with the mind and spirit. Sr. GrandMaster Yu is a 9th Dan Tae Kwon Do Senior GrandMaster Teacher, and was a student of the late Supreme GrandMaster B.J. Ro, the founding father of modern Tae Kwon Do.
- Hapkido/ Aikido: Hapkido and Aikido are similar Korean and Japanese martial arts disciplines respectively with a heavy emphasis on defense. Both disciplines teach a combination of pins, joint locks, and throwing techniques that help the student harness the energy of the attacker to subdue them. The main difference between these disciplines is that hapkido incorporates some offensive techniques while aikido is mainly defensive. Sr. GrandMaster Yu is an 8th Dan Hapkido GrandMaster Teacher.
- Judo: Judo is a Japanese martial arts discipline that involves lifting, throwing, locking, and pinning techniques. There are no striking maneuvers in judo such as punches and kicks. Judo emphasizes the principle of gentleness as the holds and throws of judo are always practiced with a partner. It takes intense physical and mental prowess to master the holds and throws of judo with speed and power.
- Kumdo (Gumdo): Kumdo is a martial art discipline that focuses on swordsmanship. This discipline is derived from the ancient Korean sword art of Haidong Gumdo and the Japanese sword art of Kendo. Students of kumdo are taught to have great respect for the sword and others and they learn stances, footwork, strikes, and blocking techniques that require great physical strength and concentration. Students start out with wooden and bamboo swords to learn the basics of Kumdo. Sr. GrandMaster Yu is a certified World Haidong Kumdo Master.
Check out the features of our program that we believe set us apart from the rest.
Instruction from an Internationally Recognized GrandMaster
Our program is led by Sr. GrandMaster Yu, an internationally recognized GrandMaster and elite, world-class martial artist. Sr. GrandMaster Yu was appointed a Master Teacher in 1978 by Supreme GrandMaster B.J. Ro, the founding father of Modern Tae Kwon Do. He has dedicated more than half a century of his life to practicing martial arts and has reached the level of 9th Dan Tae Kwon Do, 8th Dan Hapkido, and World Haidong Kumdo Master. Sr. GrandMaster Yu’s expertise is in the study, practice, and choreography of various martial arts styles and he believes the goal of martial arts is to unify the body, mind, and spirit to create a healthy, safe, successful and purposeful life.
Our students benefit from learning from Sr. GrandMaster Yu in the following ways:
- Our curriculum was created by Sr. GrandMaster Yu to provide a well-rounded martial arts education. The choreography and defense sequencing is all original and thoughtfully developed by Sr. GrandMaster Yu.
- Students will have the opportunity to learn from Sr. GrandMaster Yu directly and enjoy the benefits of his credentials. Learning martial arts from the source also provides students with unlimited challenge.
- Our instructors are all trained to the highest standards from the ground up by Sr. GrandMaster Yu and continue to train under his direction.
Sr. GrandMaster Yu has always been recognized for his teaching abilities by his peers, and our students have certainly been appreciative to learn from a true Master. He has been praised by our students for his ability “to inspire and bring out the best in each of us, while teaching us how to use our individual strengths to our advantage.”
Custom Curriculum Based on your Abilities
We tailor our martial arts programs specifically to the student based on their level, core talent, and special needs. We believe that students at all levels and abilities have unlimited growth opportunities and we believe the best way to unlock a student’s potential is to teach them appropriately. One of our goals is to help our students realize their full value and potential which can have many benefits outside the dojhang. Any student who invests the time to train can develop their skills and realize their potential through martial arts.
We have several instructors who teach at various levels to help ensure that our students are learning and progressing.
Our Curriculum Focuses on Complete Education
Our martial arts curriculum does not focus on sports and tournaments, but instead on the education of the whole student. Our goal is to teach the customs, history, and etiquette of martial arts with quality and integrity. These educational and philosophical principles are embedded in our student creed that students embrace, understand and apply.
Students in our curriculum enjoy the following benefits:
- Engagement in the customs, history, culture, and etiquette of martial arts practice
- Classes available daily and students can create their own consistent training and attendance schedule. We do not impose our schedule on our students.
Ultimately, we want to provide an education that is valuable to our students both within and outside the dojhang. Understanding the philosophy, history, customs, and etiquette behind the traditional martial arts disciplines will help you realize your full potential and align your mind, body, and spirit in practice and execution.
Learn and Grow in a Supportive Environment
At Master S.H. Yu Martial Arts, we have created a supportive environment in which everyone treats each other as family. We are also very welcoming to new students who wish to join our community and engage in the study and practice of martial arts. It is important for the growth and development of our students to have a place to train where they can directly benefit from the support of their peers and instructors.
We have asked our students and instructors for their top three reasons for studying martial arts at Master S.H. Yu Martial Arts. Many students cite the features described above as their main reasons for studying with Sr. GrandMaster Yu, including:
Instruction from Sr. GrandMaster Yu
“The chance to study firsthand from a senior GrandMaster who finds the way to facilitate each student’s “experiencing” or feeling the lesson, thus getting it into their muscle memory.”
Focus of our Curriculum
“I appreciated the whole world of culture and etiquette presented.”
“The creed we follow applies to the same three levels; our mind, body and heart and becomes an integral part of your life both in and out of the dojhang.”
“Sr. GrandMaster Yu teaches an art that aligns mind, body and heart, with mental and physical discipline practiced in a supportive community, the dojhang becomes family.”
Learn More about Master S.H. Yu Martial Arts
If you are interested in receiving training and education in martial arts, contact Master S.H. Yu Martial Arts to learn more about our programs.